Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How To Plan To Get Your Shit Done

I have trouble finishing things on-schedule. After some self-reflection and contemplation, it comes down to a few things for me.

I tend to overestimate:
  1. my ability to get something done
  2. the work required to finish a task
I tend to underestimate
  1. The amount of work to finish
  2. The number of delays in a task
I will procrastinate starting a project more if
  1. The larger the project is
  2. The more ambiguous the project is
This is a pattern I have seen over and over again, in school, in favors for friends, etc. But in working for myself, my productivity and quality of my work determines my income.

Before this was a cute, "absentminded scientist", disorganized creative type thing. But now it hurts my relationship with my clients and hurts my income.

So what do I do? Only take on very small projects? Do shoddy work and turn it in 2 weeks after deadline?


But the truth is I want to take on big projects, to do high quality work, to be productive during work time.

So how can I be more of what I want and less of what I don't want? Well, I gotta do the opposite of what is above. Delineated fully, I need to:

Before Executing The Project
  1. Begin Outline the Major Parts of the Project (The Day I get Them)
  2. Clearly Define Measurable Goals of each segment of the project
  3. Make the tasks for the project as concrete as possible
  4. Add in 50% more time than I think I need for unfamiliar parts of the project

When Executing The Project

  1. Start Executing As Soon As the Planning is Finished
  2. Stay Focused On Completing Concrete Tasks and Measurable Goals
  3. Break Down Each Task As Much As Possible, But Keep The Big Picture Clear

If I can do that, I will be able to stay out of this "OH SHIT I'M SO BEHIND" and I can just do my things in a consistent, on-time manner :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment